ISCAID aims to bring together, and support the needs of veterinarians, physicians, microbiologists and ecologists that share a common interest in the field of companion animal infectious diseases, including infectious diseases of dogs, cats, avian and exotic pets, and horses. Membership of ISCAID provides password access to a protected part of this site which includes research opportunities, opportunities to participate in multicenter studies, an image bank for that may be used for educational purposes, case examples, a discussion forum, a comprehensive set of links to other infectious disease websites, noteworthy publications and news items, and a calendar of relevant meetings.
This page includes a regularly updated list of published guidelines for health professionals relating to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of companion animal infectious diseases. Links are also provided to PubMed citations where available.
Zoonoses and opportunistic infections
- CDC guidelines for prevention of opportunistic infections in the immunocompromised. This contains a section on pet-related exposures.
- Compendium of measures to prevent disease associated with animals in public settings, 2009: National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians. MMWR Recomm Rep: May 2009.
- 2006 AAFP panel report on diagnosis, treatment and prevention of Bartonella spp. infections. J Fel Med Surg: Aug 2006.
- AAFP 2003 report on feline zoonoses. Brown et al.
- Guidelines for animal-assisted interventions in health care facilities. Am J Infect Control: Mar 2008. LeFebvre et al
- ACVIM consensus statement on leptospirosis in dogs. Sykes et al.
Feline upper respiratory tract disease
- Bordetella bronchiseptica infection in cats. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (October 2008). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Egberink et al.
- Chlamydophila felis infection. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (October 2008). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Gruffydd-Jones et al.
- Feline calicivirus infection. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (March 2007). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Radford et al.
- Feline herpesvirus infection. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (September 2006). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Thiry et al.
Influenza virus infections
- H5N1 avian influenza in cats. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (March 2006). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Thiry et al.
- Washington State University canine influenza fact sheets for veterinarians
- Canine influenza: epidemiology, clinical disease, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention (July 2009) (PDF). Crawford PC.
Feline infectious peritonitis
Methicillin-resistant staphylococcal infections
- Guidelines for the prevention and management of community-associated Staphylococcus aureus. Sep-Oct 2006. Writing Group of the Expert Panel of Canadian Infectious Disease, Infection Prevention and Control, and Public Health Specialists. Includes a section that addresses pet-related exposures (free PDF download from CCAR site).
- 2008 AAFP feline retrovirus management guidelines (abridged version). J Fel Med Surg: July 2008. Levy et al.
- Feline immunodeficiency. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (March 2008). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Hosie et al.
- Feline leukaemia. ABCD guidelines on prevention and management (October 2007). J Fel Med Surg: July 2009. Lutz et al.
Vector-borne infectious disease
- ACVIM small animal consensus statement on Lyme disease in dogs: diagnosis, treatment and prevention. J Vet Intern Med: Mar-Apr 2006. Littman et al.
- Consensus statement on ehrlichial disease of small animals from the infectious disease study group of the ACVIM. J Vet Intern Med: May-Jun 2002. Neer et al.
- Directions for the diagnosis, clinical staging, prevention and treatment of canine leishmananiosis. Vet Parasitol: June 2009. Solano-Gallego et al.
- Guidelines for clinical classification and diagnosis of leishmaniasis in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc: Jun 2010. Paltrinieri et al.
- Guidelines for treatment of leishmaniasis in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc: Jun 2010. Oliva et al.
- Guidelines for prevention of leishmaniasis in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc: Jun 2010. Maroli et al.
- AAHA/AAFP 2014 basic guidelines for judicious therapeutic use of antimicrobials.
- Antimicrobial drug use in veterinary medicine. J Vet Intern Med: Jul-Aug 2005. Morley et al.
- ACVIM Consensus Statement on Therapeutic Antimicrobial Use in Animals and Antimicrobial Resistance. J Vet Intern Med: Mar-Apr 2015. Weese et al.
- Infection prevention and control best practice guidelines for small animal veterinary clinics. Canadian Committee on Antimicrobial Resistance: August 2008.
- UPDATED: ISCAID Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of bacterial urinary tract infections in dogs and cats. The Veterinary Journal, May 2019. Weese et al.
- ISCAID Antimicrobial Working Group Guidelines for diagnosis and therapy of canine superficial bacterial folliculitis (pyoderma). FREE FULL TEXT. Hillier et al. 2014.
- AAFP 2013 feline vaccine advisory panel report. J Feline Med Surg: 2013. Scherk et al.
- AAHA 2011 canine vaccine guidelines. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc: Sep-Oct 2011. Welborn et al.
- Vaccination guidelines group of the WSAVA: guidelines for the vaccination of dogs and cats (English and Spanish). J Small Anim Pract: Sep 2007. Day et al. Updated version: J Small Anim Pract: June 2010. Day et al.
- AAEP guidelines for the vaccination of horses; AAEP 2015.
Through donations, ISCAID helps to support research projects focused on companion animal infectious diseases worldwide.
ISCAID seeks to promote and improve the health of all species by encouraging collaboration between physicians, veterinarians, and other scientific health professionals.